House hunting is no joke.
This process moves FAST. Since it’s a seller’s market right now, there aren’t many houses on the market, and anything halfway decent that does come on the market gets snapped up in like 1 day. Not joking.
Which means that you have mere hours to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on the biggest purchase of your entire life.
This process is not for the faint of heart. I may be getting an ulcer.
Anyway, there are three houses that we considered briefly. Let’s discuss the pros and cons.
- It’s in our desired (dream) neighborhood and in a good school district
- It’s $10k below what we budgeted
- It has a walkout basement
- Great yard/trees
- There are definite projects we could do…
- …but it is move-in ready right away
- It’s a one-story ranch house
- THE COLOR
- Cathedral ceilings (the sloped kind)
- Very open floorplan (we like a little definition)
- Good neighborhood/school district
- Huge yard
- Corner lot
- 5 bedrooms, 4 baths
- Within budget
- It is 4296 square feet. HOLY SHMOLEY
- Ken and I both took this for a miscategorized apartment building when we first saw it on Zillow.
- No pictures of the interior on the listing and “needs cosmetic updating.” We assume the worst.
- In an older part of our dream neighborhood/school district
- Located at the end of a cul-de-sac
- AWESOME yard with shed
- 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2352 square feet
- In budget
- This will sound dumb. But. The floor in this house is not level, as in you step down about three inches into the living room and up three inches to go into the kitchen. There’s no easy way to rectify it.
- Kitchen has been updated in the 1990s but needs another update
- Bathrooms have original (1968) sinks and vanities
Here’s the kitchen. Anyone know how easy/hard it is to take out ceilings like this?
None of these are THE ONE. In fact, though the three of these are at the top of our list, we didn’t even request to see them in person. But they were intriguing enough for us to take a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th look at the online listing. ;)
If you were us, which of the above three would you go with? Or would you keep looking?